Our trusty travellers recently took a trip to the South of France and it was simply incredible!
Luberon in Provence has got to be one of the most beautiful countrysides France (if not the world) has to offer! Imagine picturesque Winelands, baroque architecture, blue skies, oh and let’s not forget the incredible wine!
Below you will find a detailed guide of what to do, and how to do it!
Getting there: Its pretty darn easy!
Fly into Marseille, grab your rental car, and take an easy two-hour drive into what will seem like heaven!
First Stop: Lunch at Le Mas Tourteron – The most authentic French culinary experience one can find
In the heart of beautiful Provence, this Michelin guide restaurant is not only extremely authentic but one of the freshest and most delicious culinary experiences you will find in the area. Drive down the small picturesque roads and find yourself in what seems to be someone’s beautiful country house and get ready for a special lunch filled with wine, great hospitality, and an authentic French experience!
Host Elisabeth welcomes her guests into this charming house surrounded by beautiful trees and flowers. In a courtyard enclosed by wisteria during the summer, and by the big chimney in the winter, Elisabeth cooks with the loving care that can only be found in a woman’s kitchen with a zest of the sun.
Fresh soups, leg of lamb stuffed with aubergine, roasted farm chicken, and the large dessert table, as well as many other specialties accompanied by the best wines from the cellar of Philippe, her sommelier husband. This couple may seem quiet and reserved, but that’s what makes this place so special. It is completely undersold and understated, leaving you pleasantly surprised by the many different dishes that you won’t find in any ordinary restaurant!
The whole experience is further bolstered by the beauty of the interior and exterior of this picturesque country villa, and the lovely sense of passion and pride that oozes from these lovely hosts!
Second Stop: On to Hotel La Coquillade, a gift from the gods
La Coquillade is about a 1-hour from Le Mas Tourteron which is almost too short considering the beauty on display throughout this picturesque drive! This is our recommended stay for the weekend, however, if the price is not for you can always pop in to visit and stay in one of the many hotels nearby!
This is our recommended stay for the weekend, however, if the price is not for you can always pop in to visit and stay in one of the many hotels nearby!
Now we have stayed in many beautiful resort hotels in the world and have lapped in the finest luxury. However, this place is not only unbelievably beautiful in design, but has the most well, thought out and perfectly manicured grounds that one will ever see in their short time on this beautiful earth!
This hotel is the pinnacle of understated luxury and elegance. Offering massive grounds with its own village, two pools and vineyards as far as the eye can see. There truly aren’t many places like it! The gardens alone are a spectacle to see and the decor inside and out is simply unreal! Step into your room overlooking the vineyards, open a bottle of incredible wine on offer and get ready to watch the sunset on your large and comfortable patio.
After soaking in all the soul food the landscape has to offer head down to one of the three the world-class hotels on offer and get ready for even more magical food and wine! The hotel also boasts an incredible fitness center and spa which should definitely be seen!
All in all this hotel is incredible. The only way to really comprehend its beauty is to check it out for yourself as words can do no justice in describing this french utopia that is La Coquillade!
Must eat’s during your stay (see listing pages for more info)
- La Citadelle (Bastide de Gordes): This hotel is absolutely magnificent! If you truly want to get an essence of French beauty this is an absolute must for dinner! Words cannot do it justice, nor will they ever be able to!
This is place is as highly recommended to stay at as La Coquillade and is arguably one of the most romantic places one will ever come across! Be sure to check out the listing page and hotel website!
- Ristorante (Coquillade Village): The hotel’s Italian restaurant beautifully positioned by the perfectly presented pool and gardens! This makes for a delightful dinner on the first night!
Activites and places to visit:
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: This is an absolute must for those looking to get an unparalleled view of this majestic area. The rides are available in the early morning making for an incredible sunrise and the best start to any day one can possibly find!
- Chateaux Le Coste: Chateau La Coste is an extraordinary place, as far removed from a typical Provence winery as one can find! This is somewhere you can come for a good lunch, to buy some beautiful wine, and also spend a couple of hours walking around the series of artworks and sculptures placed all around this beautiful plot of land! It is truly a joy for the senses!
- Red flower Fields: These can be found on the way from La Coquillade to Chateaux Le Coste! They cant be missed and are worth a stop! Just be sure to lock the car and keep your valuables with you as there are some clever thieves that know its a popular tourist spot!
All in all, this is an incredible weekend to escape the hustle and bustle of the city! And most importantly it’s guarenteed to leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, and begging for more! Best experienced as a couple as there is an abundance of romance in the air, however, it would undoubtedly be thoroughly enjoyable no matter who you choose to go with!
We hope you find this helpful, and most importantly that you tick this one off the bucket list! It’s one that will remain in the memory bank as long as you live!
Two trusty travellers!