Its all About that Rio Feel
My travels recently took me down South to Rio De Janeiro, granting me my first footsteps on South American soil. Now, I had mixed emotions prior to my flight to this beautiful city, as a lot of my friends that are locals had given me mixed reviews on what to expect.
However, one theme that remained the same from person to person was, “Be careful, don’t bring any jewellery, and don’t walk around, it’s extremely dangerous”. So, trusting my South American counterparts I stripped myself of any valuable items and took only with me my clothing, my GoPro, and my Drone.
Being South African I would say that I’m pretty much used to being in “dangerous” countries and would, therefore, consider myself less naive and more street-smart than most general tourists (well at least i hope so)! However, Upon first arrival in the City (and after playing bullshit for 12 hours drinking far too much on the plane) I was pleasantly surprised by this crazy cool city!
The streets were laden with holidaymakers and locals alike. The beaches were all lit up all through the night and although some parts had a slightly tangy odour, the air was fresh and laden with that glorious smell of the sea!
The next day after a long debate of whether to take my backpack with my camera gear I set out for some good old exploring in Copacabana, Ipanema, and Leblon and this is what I found out!
- Rio is incredible!
- People in Rio LOVE to exercise, whether it be skating, rollerblading, run, swim, play volleyball with their feet, you name it they love it!
- The beaches, views and landscapes are incredible.
- It feels like a mix of Cape Town, Johannesburg and L.A. And even a touch of Europe.
- It’s just like any big city, if you are in the good areas, you’re likely not gonna feel threatened or unsafe!
- There couldn’t be a better place to take your camera gear!
- EVERYONE SHOULD VISIT THIS PLACE AT LEAST ONCE!
- And Lastly, I F***ing LOVE this City!!
Things to do while there: (also check Listings in Rio for places to eat and drink!)
- Visit Christ the Redeemer, Obviously! Its packed with smelly tourists but still worth it!
- Go up Sugarloaf mountain for another incredible view.
- Helicopter flip is a MUST
- Check out Barra Di Tijuca, the beaches are insane!
- Drink coconuts on the Fasano Rooftop.
- Hit up the Copacabana Palace pool or restaurants!
- Sunset at Ipanema Beach, Do it!
Check out the Trusty Map tab for all the Trusty Recommendations for Rio and Get your butts down there!
Peace and Love!